In 2010 Canon released its new lineup of professional file-based camcorders. The recording format used in these camcorders incorporates MPEG-2 video with bitrates up to 50 Mbit/s and 16-bit linear PCM audio in what Canon has called XF codec. And now in the market, canon camcorder models which using MXF as video recording format are Canon EOS C300, Canon EOS C500, Canon XF305, Canon XF300, Canon XF105, Canon XF100. Canon claims that its flavor of MXF is fully supported by major NLE systems including Adobe Premiere, Apple Final Cut Pro, Avid Media Composer, and Grass Valley EDIUS. But users know that we always failed to importing such MXF files to Final Cut Pro.
How to edit and play Canon MXF footage from Canon C300/C500/XF305/XF300/XF105/XF100 in Final Cut Pro on Mac? As we all know, for the compatibility issue, Many MXF Camcorder users have the experiences with Plug-in or MXF converter. About Canon XF plug-in for Final Cut Pro or Top Reviews MXF Converter, which one is better? This article will make an all-around comparison to help you choose the best and easiest solution to edit Canon MXF recordings in FCP X/7/6/5. Let’s take a look!
Canon XF plug-in:
2. Supports native MXF importing
3. Brings MXF to Final Cut Pro which allows you to use the Log and Transfer function to edit MXF captured with the XF camcorders.
3. Play back MXF clips and download these files in native or Apple ProRes 422 format (excluding files recorded in 50 Mbps (4:2:2) 1280×720/30P, 50 Mbps (4:2:2) 1280×720/25P, and 50 Mbps (4:2:2) 1280×720/24P modes).
1. Only available for Canon MXF files
2. Cannot handle well with 50Mbps (CBR) 4:2:2, 1920×1080, (60i/30p/24p),etc
3. Can’t import mxf-files into FCP 10.0.8 after Mavericks
4. May cause errors due to incompatible codecs
5. Spends a lot of time with complex steps
U2USoft Video Converter Ultimate for Mac
1. Fastest convert MXF to ProRes with three clicks
2. Multiple types: ProRes 422, ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422 LT, ProRes 422 Proxy, ProRes 4444 for FCP X/7/6/5
3. Import MXF, P2 MXF, XDCAM MXF from Sony, Canon (Canon C300/C500/XF305/XF300/XF105/XF100), Panasonic, etc
4. Supports transcoding MXF to any other video format for all NLE systems, Media Player and portable devices
5. guide MXF files into FCP 10.0.8 after Mavericks (U2USoft Canon MXF to FCP Converter)
6. Preset video/audio settings, such as video frame rate for flawlessly editing in FCP
7. Save rendering time
1. Not free
2. You can’t edit native MXF files in FCP
Below is a step-by-step tutorial to transcode Canon C300/C500/XF305/XF300/XF105/XF100 MXF to FCP with U2USoft MXF Converter for Mac. From the above conparison, you must be clearly know the different features of Plug-in and MXF Converter. In general, you can smoothly edit native MPEG-2 MXF, but FCP X/7/6/5 is designed to work best in ProRes. However, by default, Log & Transfer will either convert the footage to ProRes or just re-wrap clips into MOV format. It seems the conversion is unavoidable. So let’s take a look at the simply three clicks.
Download MXF Video Converter for Windows:
Download MXF Converter for Mac:
Click1: import MXF recordings
After connecting your Canon C300/C500/XF305/XF300/XF105/XF100 camcorder to Mac via USB, you can just drag and drop them to the program window. Or click “Add Video” or “Add from folder”.
Click2: Choose a kind of ProRes codec as the best output format from “Profile> Final Cut Pro” menu. Then you can set audio and video profile. (Optional)
Click3: Canon C300/C500/XF305/XF300/XF105/XF100 MXF to FCP converter
The Canon C300/C500/XF305/XF300/XF105/XF100 MXF to FCP Converter will run fast even on the latest Mavericks 10.9.1. With just a click on “Open output folder”, you can locate the export ProRes MOV quickly.